A suicide is horrible for everyone. When we lose a youth to suicide it can be even harder to cope with. When I heard about the recent suicide of Jamey Rodemeyer it brought to mind how it can be difficult to identify warning signs of suicide. Here are a few warning signs:
- Threatening to hurt or kill him/herself, or talking of wanting to hurt or kill him/herself.
- Looking for ways to kill him/herself.
- Talking or writing about death, dying or suicide, when these actions are out of the ordinary for the person.
- Increased substance use (alcohol and/or drugs).
- No reason for living; no sense of purpose in life.
- Anxiety, agitation, unable to sleep or sleeping all the time.
- Feeling trapped – like there is no way out.
- Withdrawing from family, friends, and society.
- Rage, uncontrolled anger, seeking revenge.
- Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities,seemingly without thinking.
- Dramatic mood changes.
Watch to see if your child is participating in online forums like formspring.com that allow kids to make comments anonymously. I was interviewed on FOX 4 News about this website. Watch the segment here.
Also, if you’d like a few tips about how to bullyproof your children here is another FOX 4 segment on the topic.